Date: Tue 03 November 20
JOB PURPOSE SUMMARY
Oil Plus has a long-standing reputation in designing and troubleshooting oilfield water handling and treatment facilities – identifying and improving flow assurance issues through a combination of chemical and mechanical engineering solutions.
Solving process issues often requires analysis at site. Oil Plus differs from other service and laboratory companies because we have the equipment, skilled scientists and engineers to do this. A troubleshooting project often requires an on-site review of all the critical equipment and processes; necessitating real-time fluid sampling and initial testing, followed by further laboratory evaluation in our purpose-built laboratory in the UK, and computer modelling and predictions.
The role of Snr Production Chemist at Oil Plus is to lead projects and to work with junior members of the team to mentor and transfer industry knowledge; you’ll become a valuable part of our training and succession planning team. Tackling a wide range of technical production chemistry challenges, it’s a chance to deepen your industry knowledge, experience and strengthen your current skill sets.
The position is based in Oil Plus’s Newbury office, therefore eligibility to work in the UK is required. It is essential that you hold valid entitlement to work in the UK.
You will be leading projects and seen as a role model for good practice and valued for your expertise; an ambassador for our company within the client network. From day to day, you’ll work closely with your colleagues on a variety of global oil & gas projects and guide your project team in all areas.
Oil Plus is looking for someone proactive and assertive who has shown they can work effectively on their own initiative. A very capable communicator, you’ll enjoy networking with a variety of people from other technical disciplines.
MAIN DUTIES + RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identifying risks and providing chemical solutions and working alongside our process engineering department for non-chemical solutions, for field development projects and operating assets.
- Providing production chemistry expertise input to the design and operation of development and decommissioning projects.
- Proactively contributing to HSE activities; sharing learnings on chemicals HSE management and other aspects.
- Proactively provide specialist advice on chemical process and flow assurance related matters to prevent operational upsets, solve problems and optimise systems and ensure safe operation.
- Develop direct laboratory/ field trials to assess new chemicals or treatments and organizing appropriate laboratory analyses and interpreting their results.
- Help the generation of proposals by providing specific technical input.
- To provide experience and wide knowledge to undertake studies and analyses / evaluations of Chemistry related issues in the oil and gas industry on request from Oil Plus clients, and to provide solutions as appropriate.
JOB KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Global knowledge and experience in upstream production operations.
- Working knowledge of liquid hydrocarbon and gas processing/operations.
- Understanding of microbiologically influenced corrosion (MIC), blocked pipelines, injectivity decline and loss due to formation plugging, disintegration of concrete or the production of toxic and corrosive hydrogen sulphide (H2S) gas.
JOB SKILLS REQUIRED
- Skills spanning process chemistry, chemical aspects of flow assurance and associated operations.
- High level of PC-literacy and familiar with Microsoft Office applications. In particular, strong proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel for calculations and technical, well presented report writing
- Strong project management skills
- A ‘hands on’ approach to lab work, method development and validation
- In depth report writing skills and review
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Good communicator at all levels. Effective oral and written communication skills, a high level of numeracy and an ability to communicate effectively with customers, laboratory staff and management.
- Organisational ability
EDUCATION + TRAINING REQUIRED
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a science subject, ideally chemical engineering or chemistry coupled with wide experience in an oil and gas industry role
- PRINCE2 Practitioner or similar
- Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training (BOSIET) certificate
- OPITO Minimum Industry Safety Training (MIST) certificate
- OGUK Offshore Medical certificate
RECENT PROJECT EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- In excess of 10 years relevant experience in a similar role
- Demonstrated relevant experience
- Offshore Production Chemistry Experience
- The successful candidate should have experience in physical and inorganic chemistry, microbiology and general laboratory safety procedures such as; COSHH, MSDS, and IATA regulations.