Date: Wed 24 June 20
JOB PURPOSE SUMMARY
Supervision and control of laboratory and workshop, including conducting laboratory analysis and reporting of results, and preparation, calibration and maintenance of field equipment.
You’ll be seen as a role model for good practice and valued for your expertise. From day to day, you’ll work closely with your colleagues on a variety of challenging global oil & gas projects and guide your team in a variety of areas.
Oil Plus is looking for someone proactive and assertive who has shown they can work effectively on their own initiative. A capable communicator, you enjoy networking with a variety of people from other technical disciplines
MAIN DUTIES + RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain, update and, as appropriate, disseminate COSHH and MSDS data.
- Prepare, or assist others in preparation of, Risk Assessments for laboratory areas.
- Ensure adherence to safe working practices in the laboratory and workshop.
- Ensure laboratory, workshop and on-site equipment (on departure from Oil Plus) is suitably serviced, safe to operate and correctly calibrated (or dispatched with appropriate calibration materials where on-site calibration is essential).
- Pack, or organise packing, and documentation for shipment of hazardous/dangerous goods under IATA regulations.
- Ensure laboratory analysis is correctly conducted, at the necessary time, and that results are recorded, checked and passed on to appropriate personnel (usually to in-house Oil Plus staff).
- Purchase consumables and equipment as appropriate for general laboratory use (as an overhead expense) or for specific projects for internal or external clients.
- Ensuring the laboratory, and to a lesser extent the laboratory office and workshop, are kept sufficiently tidy to properly represent Oil Plus to visitors, who may be presented at short or no notice.
- Ensure laboratory wastes are prepared, documented and disposed of according to applicable standards.
- Ensure all aspects of laboratory operation adhere to, and appropriately document Oil Plus requirements for ISO 9000 accreditation and associated internal and third-party audits.
- Organise purchases against specific projects to be within limits allowed by Project Manager (orders to be signed by the Director).
- Prepare documentation for equipment dispatch [Certificate of Origin preparation, CARICOMS, ATA carnet].
- Portable apparatus electrical testing of both Laboratory and Office equipment.
- Assist in the organisation of the maintenance of facilities [weekly fire tests etc].
- Must be capable of working in a small company environment where market conditions (e.g. contract workload) and staff availability may require individuals to carry out roles that would not normally be part of their work activities, e.g. photocopying reports.
Functional specialists with no wider interests or abilities are not suitable.
JOB KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Global knowledge and experience in upstream production operations.
- Working knowledge of liquid hydrocarbon and gas processing/operations.
- Required to reliably follow procedures on established workscopes and demonstrate technical initiative when circumstances require any variations.
JOB SKILLS REQUIRED
- Skills spanning process chemistry, chemical aspects of flow assurance and associated operations.
- High level of PC-literacy and familiar with Microsoft Office applications
- In depth report writing skills and review.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Good communicator at all levels
- Commercial awareness
- Organisational ability
EDUCATION + TRAINING REQUIRED
- Minimum requirement is a science HNC or a first degree which includes a good basis in chemistry.
- Recognised engineering qualification or extensive practical maintenance experience
- Fork lift truck driving licence (not essential)
- First Aid at Work (not essential)
RECENT PROJECT EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Demonstrated experience in a similar role
- The successful candidate should have experience in physical and inorganic chemistry, microbiology and general laboratory safety procedures such as; COSHH, MSDS, and IATA regulations.